KOM League Class D Baseball

Current stories about the men who played minor league baseball in the Kansas-Oklahoma-Missouri league from 1946-52. Many went on to very long baseball careers while others were successes in other fields. This blog keeps up with them through what is called "The KOM League Flash Report."

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Pre-Thanksgiving report

The KOM League
Flash Report

There is much to report in this issue of the Flash Report other than to say "I'm still here." If any of you have something to share do it. If not, the next issue of this report will be a blank screen.

Dispelling a rumor

About a month ago I mentioned that contact had been made with the Stony Creek Inn in Columbia, Mo. regarding the possibility of holding a KOM League reunion there in 2007. I had some follow-up to do with that facility and mentioned in a later Flash Report we'd probably schedule something for those who were interested for late summer.

Shortly thereafter, I had input that an event was already being planned for next year in Chanute, Kansas. About that time "the wheels went off the stagecoach" and my attention was directed toward some family matters. I was unable to get back with Stony Creek and I didn't check out the "rumor" that a reunion was being planned for Chanute.

Thanks to Sam Dixon, he checked things out with Norma Maring and the discussion at the conclusion of the reunion in Carthage, in September, didn't culminate in any plans for a 2007 event.

One thing is for sure that I can't leave home, for even a day, in the foreseeable future. I had a long talk with Noel, my first wife, last night and she said I could plan some type of function in Columbia for 2007 but I'd be doing the work; solo, alone and by myself. Oh! I almost forgot A Cappella.

I'll attempt to firm some things up by telephone with Stony Creek next week. If my initial plans on the issue works out, the "First Anniversary Celebration of the Final KOM League Reunion" will be held in Columbia, Missouri in late August of 2007.


Spook Jacobs and tomatoes

John: Received your new email address. I've been sending you text messages and pictures from my cell phone to your old email from Monroeville and Dothan, AL. What you don't receive you won't miss, or do you? I remember "Spook" Jacobs in KC town from my batboy days in '56 & '57 with the A's. Nice guy! Tomatoes gone yet? Jim Jay


Forrest "Spook" Jacobs

John, I'm sure we were with Spook -----just not sure where. I'll try to find and old press book with the rosters listed.

No venison-----yet!!! Grandson got a BIG one! Shirley Virdon

Ed reply:

Shirley, I know your connection with Spook Jacobs. He went to the Pirates in the latter part of 1956 from the Kansas City A's. John


This is a totally personal item!

Contrary to the size of this Flash Report it has been a very event filled week for the preparer of these reports.

To start off the week I traveled to watch my oldest grandson wrestle in his first college match. He won in 1 minute and 19 seconds of the first period. About that far into his second match he suffered a knee injury, but hung on to wrestle the #1 recruited wrestler in the nation to a virtual standstill. He lost 5-3. Whether he wrestles is now on a week to week basis. He is a red-shirt freshman and technically doesn't wrestle for the University of Missouri. Since they term those in his category as "unattached," I tell everyone he wrestles for the "University of Unattached."

On Tuesday of this week, grandson #2 (in age only) signed his national letter of intent to wrestle for the University of Missouri. The newspaper account of that signing is contained in the following URL.


The biggest event of the week was the trip to Springfield, Missouri. I loaded a U-Haul truck and moved my mother to my home in Columbia. I didn't get all the goods in the initial trip but it will sustain her until the rest can be brought here.

One thing I've learned, in the nearly one week since the move, I sure get up a lot earlier. The average "git-up" time is now 3:00 A. M.. If any of you have night jobs or can't sleep at night get on the computer, I'm liable to respond at hours you'd never believe.

Another thing that has changed is that my wife and I cook bigger lunches than has been the custom. Even though mother is 92-years old (birthday is November 21st) she can eat anything about anytime. One of the protests she made when she learned she had to live with me was "They don't cook." Well, lunches this week have included main course meals of; club steak; pork tenderloin, ham steak and all the trimmings that go with the meals such as salad, baked potatoes, bread, drink and dessert. Mother is getting almost as good of care by her daughter-in-law, granddaughter and son as she gave when she was raising my three sisters and Yours Truly. Her presence in my home has changed a lot of things, including the time spent on the computer. The brief foregoing statement was made to advise the readership that for a while the flow of information is apt to be less than it has in the past.

John G. Hall


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home